ClustrMaps on Old Blogger (2006)
ClustrMaps HTML installation instructions for Blogger ‘classic’ users
NOTE: MOST BLOGGER USERS WILL WANT THE ORDINARY BLOGGER INSTRUCTIONS
By ‘Old Blogger (or ‘Blogger Classic’)‘ we mean the Blogger version involving manual editing of HTML in your templates, prior to the August 14 2006 ‘beta’ update, i.e. what most Blogger users originally had. (If you host your blog ‘externally’, i.e. on your own domain, you may also be using this ‘classic’ mode which requires manual template editing). If you believe that you are using post-2007 ‘new’ Blogger, you will find it easier to follow the instructions we provide on our ClustrMaps on Blogger (blogspot) page).
For convenience, we repeat steps 1-4 of the main instructions on the HTML setup page, and add more specific instructions for this case using the sub-steps shown at step 5 below.
PHASE I: Copy your ClustrMaps HTML code
1. Log in to your ClustrMaps ‘Admin’ page by clicking on the Admin link at the top of any ClustrMaps page, or going directly to: http://www.clustrmaps.com/admin/action.php (use your URL as your username, and the password you have been sent, or the password you changed it to)
2. On your admin page, you will see a box containing the relevant HTML code. Click in the box with your mouse and select ALL of that text (you can use the two keyboard keys CTRL+A to select all of it)
3. Now copy that HTML (you can use the two keyboard keys CTRL+C to perform this, or right-click with the mouse and select ‘Copy’); you will then paste it into your web page later on below.
PHASE II: Blog-specific alterations (hosted blog)
4. Now you must log into your blog hosting account, using the sequence you would normally use, say, if you were about to change your blog settings or preferences or user profile information. Do this in a separate browser window if possible, or in the same window you are currently using if that is simpler for you.
5. You now need to alter the ‘code’ on your page where the map is going to appear. To do this, follow the specific "a,b,c,d,e,f,g" sequence for this type of blog as specified immediately below:
|a. Access||Click on the blog name or the ‘change settings’ icon, then click on the ‘Template’ tab (next to the ‘Settings’ tab)|
|b. Best view||(whatever is convenient)|
|c. Where?||Scroll way down in the main window until you see “Begin #sidebar” or “div id=’sidebar-wrapper'” and look for a ‘good spot’ a few lines below that|
|d. Paste||use the CTRL+V keys to paste what you earlier copied at step 3, or right-click with the mouse and select ‘Paste’|
|e. Check||‘Preview’ button|
|f. Save||‘Save Template Changes’ button|
|g. Publish||small ‘Republish’ button appears|
See the accompanying figure for an indication of where to place your code (click to enlarge):
An enthusiastic user, Dennis Daniels, has provided a video tutorial showing how to install ClustrMaps on Blogger, and has uploaded it to a Google Video site: click to watch.